Instead of the regular "mission" column, I thought I would take this space to talk about my upcoming sabbatical. As you know I will be taking seven weeks away this summer (Sunday, June 15 – Sunday, July 27) on sabbatical. My goals during this time are:
- Personal spiritual renewal and revitalization.
- Pastoral renewal to "sharpen the saw"
- Ministry to and with my wife and family.
To these ends I am planning on:
- A week away spent in personal prayer and meditation, seeking the Lord. I hope to do this in the undistracted setting of Mepkin Abbey in South Carolina.
- Some time away with Nancy and the family.
- Visiting other churches to see what God is doing in the greater body of Christ.
- Getting certified in "Prepare and Enrich" pre-marital and marital counseling.
- Beginning the Doctor of Ministry degree at Reformed Theological Seminary with a course on "Church Growth and Renewal".
Right now we are in the process of lining up speakers, worship leaders, and other essential ministries, as well as a host of odds and ends. More about all this soon!
In the meantime our church will have a full slate of activities this summer including monthly fellowship events, special prayer outreach activities, and youth stuff.
Your prayers for me and my family and your commitment to our church are the best things you can do for me this summer. Thank you for all your support. I am looking forward to a great hall and a great 2009 together!