Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Patience that Perseveres

"You also, be patient. Strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand." (James 5:8)

What's on your heart these days? Do you have a heavy heart? A hungry heart? A broken heart?

Oh how fragile our hearts are! One moment we feel like superman, the next moment we wonder who hit us with the kryptonite. We are not as strong as we think we are. As Dylan said – "…she breaks just like a little girl". We get wounded and weary, sick and sore. Our hearts need strengthening.

Okay – I get that. So, what am I supposed to do? Do I sign up for some spiritual cardio-class at the YMCA? Do I push my heart past muscle fatigue to whip it into shape? Sigh. What do I do when I am too fatigued to make it through boot camp?

Ah, the blessed plural! It's not "me", it's "we". It's "hearts", not "heart"! That means I need you. Yes, you have to help me strengthen my heart. When I am dog-tired under the load of the everythingness of life – you have to come and remind me about Jesus. You just gotta!

You have to tell me that he loves me, that he laid down his life for me, that he kicked Satan's @#$% for me! And you have to tell me that he's got his eye on me and he is coming for me. You have to tell me it's all going to be okay.

And, yeah, sometimes you have tell me to suck it up and hang in there, that it's all worth it, that I have keep my eyes on the prize.

But you have to be there for me.

And me for you.


The well wisher of your soul's happiness,

Pastor Tom

No comments: