Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Experiencing the Power of the Resurrection

Just because "Easter Sunday" has come and gone, we still celebrate the power of the resurrection. The season of Easter runs from now until Pentecost (May 31). Easter is the feast following the Lenten fast! But the power of the resurrection is more than a matter of calendar and liturgy.

The power of the resurrection is not simply a matter of looking back at the power that raised our Lord Jesus Christ form the dead. Nor is it a mere looking forward to the day of our own resurrection. No, the power of the resurrection is the moment by moment experience of the follower of Christ.

The Apostle Paul expressed his desire to know more of the power of Christ's resurrection like this:

"…that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:10-11)

Do you catch the passion and hunger in those words? Paul was blood-earnest to know more of Christ and to experience more of the power of the resurrection. Are you as hungry for more of Jesus and his power? If you are – there is good news! There is more of Christ and his power to be had than you currently have.

How is this achieved? I wish I had a simple three-step answer. I wish I had a magic formula. I wish I had an Underdog Super Energy Pill!

No, I don't have an easy solution. But one thing I do know – the path to power lies with the passion expressed by the apostle –

"…One thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14)

The well wisher of your soul's happiness,

Pastor Tom

No comments: