Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Waking Up to God

When the Bible speaks of "knowing God" we moderns tend to think in academic terms. We suppose that knowing God means knowing more about God. If we just read one more book or hear one more message, then we will reach true knowledge of God.

But in the Bible knowing God is being in intimate relationship with him. It's not amassing facts about God like a theological Wikipedia. Knowing God means growing in our experienced relationship with Him.

Now, an aspect of being in relationship means increasing in "information" about a person. I know more info about Nancy than when we were first married. But it goes much, much deeper. Sometimes it goes so deep, it is almost inexpressible.

Sarah Edwards (wife of early American theologian Jonathan Edwards) had such an experience of God. She describes a time when:

"The spiritual beauty of the Father and the Saviour seemed to engross my whole mind; and it was the instinctive feeling of my heart, 'Thou art; and there is none beside Thee.' I never felt such an entire emptiness of self-love or any regard to any private, selfish interest of my own. It seemed to me that I had entirely done with myself. I felt that the opinions of the world concerning me were nothing, and that I had no more to do with any outward interest of my own than with that of a person whom I never saw. The glory of God seemed to be all, and in all, and to swallow up every wish and desire of my heart.

Our knowledge of the truths about God become the fuel for the flame of our love and experience of God! I want to go deeper with God. I want to grow in my knowledge of God. I want to expand my capacity to receive al that God is for me in Christ! I've got a feeling you do too!

I invite you to join me on a spiritual adventure to know and love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength!

The well wisher of your soul's happiness,

Pastor Tom

No comments: